Pharmacology is the scientific study of the effects of drugs and chemicals on living organisms. The Department of Pharmacology since its inception is an integral part of the college and Hospital with deep commitment to undergraduate, post graduate education and pharmacological research. Department has excellent research and teaching facilities, dedicated to train researchers of the highest caliber guided by an excellent team of faculty comprising of qualified academicians to provide a strong foundation in the basic sciences. The research of the Department has been consistently high with Several National and International recognitions.
- MBBS: Teaching pharmacological and therapeutic concepts in a clinical format to promote good prescribing skills and research.
- MD(Pharmacology): Training students for preclinical studies, toxicity studies, clinical trials, therapeutic drug monitoring, Pharmacovigilance, ethics in experimental and clinical practice, Pharmacogenetics, Biostatistics, clinical epidemiology and Pharmacotherapeutics.
- Support National research through PSG Pharmacovigilance program in the name of PSG ADR Monitoring Center.
- The Department supports therapeutics – teaching to all the postgraduates from the other clinical departments.
- Provides drug related information to various other clinical departments.
- Contributes a distinct role in Institutional Ethics Committee activities.
- Antihypertensive drug utilization and its adherence to international guidelines
- A genetic study on the effectiveness of DPP4 inhibitors in diabetic patients
- A clinical study of Telmisartan with Losartan in patients with metabolic syndrome.
- Antibiotic Usage in MICU of a tertiary care hospital and its conformity to hospital antibiotic policy
- A clinical study on the status of inflammatory markers in Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) patients in Indian population.
- Association between GRK 5 polymorphism and poorly controlled asthma
- A genetic study on the effectiveness of Pioglitazone in diabetic patients
- A clinical study to compare the anti-inflammatory effect of oral hypoglycemic agents in type 2 DM
- To study on the effect of GRK 5 Gen 41 Leu Polymorphism on response to Glucocorticoids therapy in bronchial asthma
- Clinical benefits of Ivabradine in Ischemic Heart disease
- A comparative study of Povidone iodine Povidone iodine + Metronidazole combination and its influence on the effectiveness of various Antibiotics used in the treatment of cellulites due to ulcer.
- A short clinical study to explore the reasons for failure of drug treatment in the elderly chronic asthmatics with reference to drug delivery system.
- Comparing the renal protective efficacy of Nebivolol and ACE Inhibitors in diabetic hypertensive rats
- Anti-inflammatory effect of Curcuma longa extract – An in-vitro and in vivo study
- Effects of Momordica Charantia on oxidative stress and proinflammatoy marker in metabolic syndrome using a high fructose diet induced rat model.
- Influence of antioxidant effect of Nebivolol on CVS, CNS parameters in stress induced Hypertension animal model
- Analysis of behavioral satiety sequence of fluoxetine in wistar albino rats
- Effectiveness of HPTLC, HPLC in preclinical plant studies
- Study of Anorectic activity of Fluoxetine in male wistar rats
- Identification of Bacterial contaminants from the sterile powder extracts of Momordica charantia fruit.
- Effect of Nebivolol on serum lipid levels in hypertensive Male Sprague-Dawley rat.
- Role and influence of HPTLC in photochemical studies with reference to Curcumin extract
- Analytical Lab with calorimeter, UV Spectrophotometer, Flame photometer, Flurimeter, ELISA reader.
- Cardiovascular System studies: (DATA Acquisition system, NIBP for small animal studies).
- CNS Lab with facility for Behavioral studies (Oxylet system for metabolism and intake, SMART video tracking with mazes, PC controlled active& passive avoidance), epilepsy, pain and anxiety.
- Basic Experimental & Chemical Pharmacology lab.
- Department Library with rich reading facilities.
Dr. K. Bhuvaneswari – Professor & Head
- M.S Shastri Memorial Award for Indigenous drugs Research in Pharmacology SRIPS 2002, Member, Special Interest Group, Medical Education Network of India 2007 (SIGMEDNET)
- Member, WHO- Regional meeting on Role of Education in Rational use of Medicine, 2007
- (Fellowship In Medical Education 2015 A Batch): MCI –CMC Vellore Nodal center.
- She is involved with the National Pharmacovigilance program, rational use of medicine, good hospital pharmacy practices in PSG Hospitals, cell culture, TDM, Clinical and Preclinical research apart form teaching.
- Member, WHO- Regional meeting on Role of Education in Rational use of Medicine
Dr.S.Ramalingam – Professor
- Best Teacher Award 2012 – By Dr. MGR Medical University Tamilnadu.
- Contributes significantly in Clinical Pharmacology programs, Clinical Trials, Pharmacogenetics, Bioethics related activities along with the Dept. of Clinical Research & Bioethics PSGIMSR.
- Dr S.Shanmugapriya-Assistant Professor: Winner of the JS Gold Medal 2011 for the best PG thesis presentation
- PSG PRIME Grant achieved by Dr S.Bhuvaneshwari, Dr S.Shanmugapriya, Dr Amudhan (Post Graduate)
- UG:Ram Narendra Narayan-II MBBS student won the Dr. MGR University Dr. Lalitha Kameswaran Cash Prize & Dr.CS Balasubramaniam Memorial Endowment Gold Medal (2010)
- UG:Naina Suresh-II MBBS student won the Dr. MGR University gold medal 2012